3/20 – [YOU]NIQUE :: WEEK 2
In a world that’s more populated and connected than ever, many of us still struggle with the ideas of identity and purpose. Our own human nature and the lies that surround us pull us to extremes, telling us that we’re a failure or that we’re better than others. God wants us to have an accurate perception of ourselves and the part we’re meant to play so we can pour out His love into a hurting world by being the body of Christ – the church.
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group, or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through your answers.
- Where do you think most people look for purpose and a sense of belonging?
- Why do you think it’s so easy to believe that what you have to contribute isn’t important?
- Read Ephesians 2:10. What reaction do you have to the fact that God has a definite purpose and specific good works for you to do?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:13-18. Each of us has an important part to play in BEING the church as the hands and feet of Christ. Have you ever explored your unique place in the church? If so, what did you find? If not, what’s holding you back?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:20-24. Who have you maybe overlooked that serve at Gateway and in our community from whom you benefit? What are some ways you can show value and appreciation to them?
- Read 2 Timothy 1:6. What gifts of God do you need to “fan into flame”right now? How do you go about developing who God uniquely created you to be? Will you explore how you can use your gifts at Gateway by taking our spiritual gifts assessment and/or going on a VolunTour at Gateway North? or going to Starting Gate at Gateway South?
- Since being the church is often showing the love of God to the hurting around us, who are a few people you’ve met or you know personally who need to experience that love through you?
Ephesians 2:10 — We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do.
1 Corinthians 12:13-18 — For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body…. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
1 Corinthians 12:20-24 — The head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor…But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it.
2 Timothy 1:6 — For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you….
There are many great ways to serve using the unique gifts God gave you! If you want to discover your gifts and put them to use at Gateway, take the following step, depending on what Gateway location you attend:
- for Gateway North — text ServeNorth to 80123 or click here.
- for Gateway South — text ServeSouth to 80123 or click here.
- for Gateway Central, Branson, & Online — click here.
Spiritual Outcomes – Serve, Spiritual Gifts, Ministry
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
- Learn more about why serving is such an integral part to Jesus’ mission and its role in our lives by working through the SERVE outcome.
- Learn more about how your unique, God-given gifts and passions benefit others by working through the SPIRITUAL GIFTS outcome.
- Take Gateway’s Spiritual Gift Assessment.
- Learn how to engage your calling with the passions, gifts, experience, and resources God has provided you by working through the MINISTRY outcome.
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account under Settings. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!