3/13 – [YOU]NIQUE :: WEEK 1
We all want to be noticed, valued for our uniqueness, and to know that our unique gifts are making a real difference in the world. Despite all the options that are set before us, it can seem that finding our unique fit is quite difficult. This week we’re looking at how God gives every follower of Jesus unique spiritual gifts for the common good. Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group, or friends/family around the dinner table to talk through your answers.
- Reflect on a time when you didn’t feel like you knew where you fit. What was that like? Did you ever find your place? If so, what helped you do so?
- What has been your experience with talking about spiritual gifts in church? Has it been positive, negative, or non-existent?
- Read Isaiah 61:1-2. Jesus referenced this passage to describe why He came and His deepest desire for humanity. Why is this important to keep this in mind while discussing spiritual gifts?
- Look at the list of spiritual gifts in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:5-11. Do you think that you hold any of these gifts in higher or lower regard than others? If so, why do you think that is?
- What strengths have you seen in your life that God may be showing you is a spiritual gift He wants to use in a greater way for His purposes?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:11-13,27 — Gateway has a saying, “Everybody working together is more powerful than everyone working alone.” How does this picture of a body help you value your own uniqueness as well as the uniqueness of others? What are some examples where someone else’s gifts complimented your own to serve the common good in a greater way?
- Often times, the best way to discover our spiritual gifts comes through serving in new or expanded ways. Is there somewhere God is nudging you to step into serve maybe for the first time or in a deeper way?
Isaiah 61:1-2 — The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Romans 12:6-8 — We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
1 Corinthians 12:5-10 — There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:11-13, 27 — All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines. Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free… Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
There are many great ways to serve using the unique gifts God gave you! If you want to discover your gifts and put them to use at Gateway, take the following step, depending on what Gateway location you attend:
- for Gateway North — text ServeNorth to 80123 or click here.
- for Gateway South — text ServeSouth to 80123 or click here.
- for Gateway Central, Branson, & Online — click here.
Spiritual Outcomes – Serve, Spiritual Gifts
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
- Learn more about why serving is such an integral part to Jesus’ mission and its role in our lives by working through the SERVE outcome.
- Learn more about how your unique, God-given gifts and passions benefit others by working through the SPIRITUAL GIFTS outcome.
- Take Gateway’s Spiritual Gift Assessment.
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account under Settings. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!