Sunday, September 25th
Do you believe God speaks? Although we may not hear an auditory voice from God, we can know His voice. The Bible is a record of His words. His words were the genesis of all that we see. He is the word. We have nothing else but His words and faith that He is who He claims to be. So how then can we hear His voice?
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- Throughout the past week, if you took on the 60/60 experiment and committed to become more aware of God’s presence, did you experience any particular successes or challenges?
- There are many ways to “hear” love: receiving a gift, spending time together, an act of service, words of affirmation, etc. Does God speak your “love language”? Describe one way you think you “hear” God’s love for you.
- Read Mathew 5:17-18. Our thoughts are powerful — they move us either around in circles that keep us stuck, or they can move us forward toward experiencing the life God desires for us. What can we do to test whether or not the thoughts we’re hearing are from God?
- Read 2 Corinthians 10:5. How can we identify ideas that run counter to the voice of God? How can we control or “take captive” our thoughts when they are spiraling us away from God?
- Read 1 Kings 19:11-13. How does “spiritual” hearing differ from the ordinary sound waves we perceive as words that our ear detects? Has God ever spoken to you in a quiet thought? What was that like?
- Have you ever thought God was speaking to you through the voice of another person or a dream? What was it about the message that made you believe that God was speaking to you in this way?
- Read Hebrews 1:1-2. How can our commitment to the 60/60 experiment reaffirm that we are “hearing” the voice of God and not our own thoughts? How can you apply this to stay connected to God this week?
Mathew 5:17-18 — I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.
2 Corinthians 10:5 — We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
1 Kings 19:11-13 — Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart…but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper…Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
Hebrews 1:1-2 — In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
- Every 60 minutes for the next 60 days, pause and remember that God is present with you in that moment no matter what you’re doing, and invite Him to guide you step by step throughout your next 60 minutes.
- To help remind you to pause every 60 minutes, set your watch/phone to beep every hour or download the Soul Rev App that will send you helpful reminder notifications.
- Share with your friends, family, Running Partner &/or Life Group about how you see God showing up. Jesus said one thing is necessary for accomplishing anything lasting: “If you remain in me, you will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing.” — John 15:5
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
Spiritual Outcomes — Trust God & Stay Connected to God’s Spirit