Sunday, October 2nd
A joyous, intimate, fulfilling, exciting life with God — many of us want it desperately, but we often feel as if it is unattainable. We crave His guidance for our decisions, comfort in our pain, provision in our need, companionship in our loneliness and inspiration in our search for purpose. As we make an intentional effort to invite Him into our lives through the 60/60 experiment, perhaps we’ve had an encounter with God that requires a response. Are we willing to take a risk by obeying His voice?
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- Can you give any examples of God quietly prompting you to do something you wouldn’t normally do, either during the 60/60 experiment or before that? How did you choose to respond?
- Sometimes we wait on God to “fix our feelings,” like taking away our fear, to follow through on what He’s asking. How do you feel about taking a risk by obeying first, and waiting on the emotions to follow suit?
- Over the past couple of weeks, has God spoken to you through the verses that popped up every hour on the Soul Rev App doing the 60/60 experiment? What do you think He’s saying through those or other verses? How are you doing in Trusting His Word in those moments?
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:12-13. Perhaps the risky action God desires from you is running to Him and resisting in the face of a temptation. What could Resisting a Sin look like for you right now?
- Read Ephesians 5:1. Jesus’ greatest commands revolve around loving God and loving people. Following a Relational Prompting may feel risky, but who is someone God might be calling you to love right now?
- Read Luke 6:38. How has Giving Sacrificially helped you grow in your faith and connection with God? Is He prompting you to give, maybe even in an area where you feel you’re lacking presently? What’s one small thing you could do in that area to practice faith in God’s provision?
- God constantly moves in our lives to draw us closer to Himself, but sometimes we have to “move” also in order to experience the freedom He desires for us. What are 1 or 2 things this week you can commit to Doing the Opposite of What You’d Normally Do, either in regards to one of the previous questions or with something else God is laying on your heart?
1 Corinthians 10:12-13 — If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
Ephesians 5:1 — Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Luke 6:38 — Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
- Every 60 minutes for the next 60 days, pause and remember that God is present with you in that moment no matter what you’re doing, and invite Him to guide you step by step throughout your next 60 minutes.
- To help remind you to pause every 60 minutes, set your watch/phone to beep every hour or download the Soul Rev App that will send you helpful reminder notifications.
- Listen and respond to God’s promptings around: Trusting His Word, Resisting a Sin, Following a Relational Prompting, Giving Sacrificially and Doing the Opposite of What You Normally Do.
- Share with your friends, family, Running Partner &/or Life Group about how you see God showing up. Jesus said one thing is necessary for accomplishing anything lasting: “If you remain in me, you will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing.” — John 15:5
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
Spiritual Outcomes — Trust God & Stay Connected to God’s Spirit