Sunday, October 23rd
Sometimes when we make a dramatic spiritual commitment, like doing the 60/60 experiment, we experience a spiritual high. We feel closer to God, more loving towards people and have a renewed passion and purpose. However, the hard part afterward is to risk answering the question, “what now?”
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- What is one of the most powerful spiritual experiences you’ve ever had? Did you struggle to maintain spiritual momentum, or were you able to find a new rhythm afterward?
- Read Psalms 27:4-6. What is the Psalmist hoping for in this passage? Why did you initially begin the 60/60 experiment? What were you hoping for? If you haven’t started yet, what’s holding you back?
- What’s changed about you as a result of the 60/60 experiment?
- Read Ezekiel 36:26. Where do you struggle with a “heart of stone,” unwilling to let go and take the risk to which God is calling you? What changes, attitudes or behaviors are you afraid will go back to the way they were once the 60/60 experiment is over?
- If you’ve had a spiritual awakening through the 60/60 experiment, or by some other means, what can you do to continue your closer connection with God?
- Read Psalms 27:7-14. If you identify more with this passage, a longing for intimacy with God without finding it, what are some other ways you can stay the course and “stay with God”?
- As part of maintaining a more intimate relationship with God, to whom is He calling you to to serve and love? Who needs to hear your story?
Psalms 27:4-6 — I’m asking God for one thing, only one thing: To live with him in his house my whole life long. I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet. That’s the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, The perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic. God holds me head and shoulders above all who try to pull me down. I’m headed for his place to offer anthems that will raise the roof! Already I’m singing God-songs; I’m making music to God.
Ezekiel 36:26 — I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
Psalms 27:7-14 — Listen, God, I’m calling at the top of my lungs: “Be good to me! Answer me!” When my heart whispered, “Seek God,” my whole being replied, “I’m seeking him!” Don’t hide from me now! You’ve always been right there for me; don’t turn your back on me now. Don’t throw me out, don’t abandon me; you’ve always kept the door open…Point me down your highway, God; direct me along a well-lighted street; show my enemies whose side you’re on… I’m sure now I’ll see God’s goodness in the exuberant earth. Stay with God! Take heart. Don’t quit. I’ll say it again: Stay with God.
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
2 Corinthians 3:12-18 — Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away… But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
We don’t have to be worried about losing our radiance, like Moses did, because God’s Spirit will bring freedom and transformation to us as we stay connected to Him!
How do you want to be transformed by God by the time you complete the 60/60 experiment?
- One Transformed Habit – One sin, with God’s help, I want freedom from
- One Transformed Worry – One ongoing concern I want to trust God to take care of
- One Transformed Relationship – One person God’s asking me to serve and show his love to
- One Transformed Act of Faith – One risk God’s asking me to take outside my comfort zone
- Every 60 minutes for the next 60 days, pause and remember that God is present with you in that moment no matter what you’re doing, and invite Him to guide you step by step throughout your next 60 minutes.
- To help remind you to pause every 60 minutes, set your watch/phone to beep every hour or download the Soul Rev App that will send you helpful reminder notifications.
- Listen, respond and surrender to God’s promptings around: Trusting His Word, Resisting a Sin, Following a Relational Prompting, Giving Sacrificially and Doing the Opposite of What You Normally Do.
- Share with your friends, family, Running Partner &/or Life Group about how you see God showing up. Jesus said one thing is necessary for accomplishing anything lasting: “If you remain in me, you will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing.” — John 15:5
Spiritual Outcomes — Stay Connected to God’s Spirit
- Learn more about encountering God by working through the STAY CONNECTED TO GOD’S SPIRIT outcome.