Sunday, October 16th
Just like we’re not meant to live without oxygen, we’re not meant to live life without God. Without God in our lives, we’re spiritually dead. Through Jesus, we can have a relationship with God, which makes it possible for us to stay connected to the spiritual oxygen God gives to live life to the full. How do we though keep remembering to breather in this “oxygen”?
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- Describe any “Ah-ha” moments you have experienced during this 60/60 experiment. Even if you haven’t yet experienced a specific desired outcome, have you perceived any unexpected benefits?
- Take a deep breath. What thoughts come to your mind when you consciously experience something we do without thinking all the time? Is there anything you find analogous to breathing that helps you stay connected to God?
- Read Mark 1:15. What kind of life does Jesus offer? What is your reaction to the stated prerequisites for this deeper experience of life God desires for us to live?
- Read John 15:5. Can you think of a time in your spiritual life that you “forgot to breathe” and struggled to see any spiritual fruit growing in your life? How do you stay connected to the source of life?
- Read Isaiah 59:1-2. Now hold your breath as long as you can. What thoughts come to your mind when you consciously try to go without oxygen? Describe any parallels you perceive between sinning and not breathing.
- Read 1 John 1:9. Do you find it challenging to admit you’re wrong despite the fact that you know God will forgive you? What are some reasons why it is difficult to confess your sins?
- What reminders will you implement this week to check that you are still breathing –- living life God’s way rather than your own?
Mark 1:15 – “The time has come,” Jesus said. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!”
John 15:5 – “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
Isaiah 59:1-2 – “Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God….”
1 John 1:9 – If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
- Every 60 minutes for the next 60 days, pause and remember that God is present with you in that moment no matter what you’re doing, and invite Him to guide you step by step throughout your next 60 minutes.
- To help remind you to pause every 60 minutes, set your watch/phone to beep every hour or download the Soul Rev App that will send you helpful reminder notifications.
- Listen, respond and surrender to God’s promptings around: Trusting His Word, Resisting a Sin, Following a Relational Prompting, Giving Sacrificially and Doing the Opposite of What You Normally Do.
- Share with your friends, family, Running Partner &/or Life Group about how you see God showing up. Jesus said one thing is necessary for accomplishing anything lasting: “If you remain in me, you will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing.” — John 15:5
Spiritual Outcomes — Relate to God & Stay Connected to God’s Spirit