Sunday, July 3rd – Peace in Uncertainty
Ah, the good old days, when life was simpler, more fun and less stressful. Turning on the nightly news or browsing your Twitter feed may increase your anxiety levels, leave you feeling nostalgic for another time or another place. God wants us to live in peace, but not the fleeting peace we often find in life. How is that possible? Let’s continue our journey through Philippians to find peace in uncertainty!
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner, Life Group or friends and family around the dinner table to talk through what you’re learning!
- What do the “good old days” represent to you? Would you go back to them if you could?
- What areas of your life do you feel uncertain about right now? Work? Family? Security? How do you typically navigate the storms of life?
- Read Philippians 4:6-7. How would your life be different if you experienced the peace of God every day? What would do? How would you live?
- Are there some situations you resist (or resisted in the past) taking to God in prayer? What are they and why do you hold them back?
- How has fear held you back from living the life you think God envisions for you?
- Read Philippians 4:8-9. In the days ahead, what excellent or praiseworthy things will you think about in order to experience God’s promised peace?
Philippians 4:6-7 — Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:8-9 — Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!
DIGGING DEEPER – PHILIPPIANS
Read, Study & Meditate This Week on Chapter 4
- Freedom from Fear: Overcoming Worry and Anxiety by Neil T. Anderson
- It will be Okay: Trusting God through Fear and Change by Lysa TerKeurst (children’s book)
- Seeing Is Believing: Experience Jesus through Imaginative Prayer by Gregory Boyd
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
One of the most common themes throughout the Bible is “do not fear.” It’s so easy to say, but when you’re up to your eyeballs in anxiety and stress, trust in God’s promises can sometimes feel in very short supply.
Jesus told His disciples that they need not fear the cares and trials of this world because He had overcome the world, and this victory extends into our lives too! But like anything else worth learning, it takes intentionality and practice to shut out the noise of our worries and turn our anxieties over to Him.