Gateway North, Branson & Online
4/3 – GOD LOVES SEX
Few topics make people feel as awkward and uncomfortable as sex does. Our popular culture has turned sex into a commodity used to define people’s worth and value. Sex can be a source of great pleasure, but for many who have been wounded by the sexual revolution, it’s become a source of great pain or shame. Many have been taught that God frowns on sex, but is that really true?
Work through the following questions on your own, and get together with your running partner (or spouse if you’re married) to talk through what you’re learning. Due to the personal nature of this topic and pain or shame many have experienced, we encourage you to use discernment with whom you talk through these questions. We encourage Life Groups to get input and consider carefully how best to utilize these questions during their discussion times.
- It’s hard for people to talk openly and honestly about sex. Why do you think that is?
- Read Genesis 1:27, 2:24 and recall the passage read from Song of Solomon. What do you think about this idea that God created sex and intended it for our pleasure when experienced as He intended? Does it seem weird? Hopeful?
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:16-17. How does God’s picture of sex — something more than a physical act but also spiritual and emotional — differ from the take on sex our culture / Hollywood present to us?
- Read Romans 1:25. Where do you see evidence that sex has replaced God as the center of our attention, the very thing we worship in place of Him?
- “Sex is like fire. It’s good and a wonderful gift from God when used as He intended, but it’s powerful and must be respected. If not, it can cause lots of devastation.” What have you seen of the destructive ways our society has used sex?
- Do you think the common expression, ”It’s not hurting anyone” is true? Why or why not?
- Did this message help change your view of God’s perspective on sex? If so, how? How might aligning our thinking about sex to God’s perspective help us as individuals as well as bring healing and restoration to our culture?
Genesis 1:27, 2:24 — So God created people in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them… [and] a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
1 Corinthians 6:16-17 — There’s more to sex than mere skin on skin. Sex is as much spiritual mystery as physical fact. As written in Scripture, “The two become one.” Since we want to become spiritually one with the [Lord], we must not pursue the kind of sex that avoids commitment and intimacy, leaving us more lonely than ever —the kind of sex that can never “become one.”
Romans 1:25 — They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
We recognize that for many this can be a difficult topic — it’s a place where most of us have wounds or scars of some kind, but there’s hope! God wants to help us, heal us, and make us sexually whole people who are free of the sexual insanity of our culture, and instead find something better. We’ve put together some classes and groups to help you, and we hope to add a few more as the series progresses.
GATEWAY SINGLES: The Mingling of Souls —
God’s Design for Love, Marriage, Sex & Redemption
Learn how to navigate these issues using the process Solomon himself followed: Attraction, Courtship, Marriage … even Arguing. The Mingling of Souls will forever change how you view and approach love. For Gateway Singles on Sundays, May 1st – June 5th, from 2:00-4:00PM. Childcare Available.
GATEWAY MARRIEDS: The Mingling of Souls —
God’s Design for Love, Marriage, Sex & Redemption
Learn how to navigate these issues using the process Solomon himself followed: Attraction, Courtship, Marriage … even Arguing. The Mingling of Souls will forever change how you view and approach love. For Gateway Marrieds on Sundays, May 1st – June 5th, from 2:00-4:00PM. Childcare Available.
WOUNDED HEART for Women
Wounded Heart is a 14-week, adult women’s support group for victims of sexual abuse. This is a confidential group and is based on Dan Allendar’s book, Wounded Heart. Starts Monday, May 16th, from 7-8:30PM.
And PARENTS, our NextGen team has put together some great resources for you to start the conversation with your kids. Just text the word THETALK to 80123, and you’ll get a link to a PDF resource.
SPIRITUAL GROWTH PATH
Did you know you can now track your progress working through the outcomes we include in Next Steps right on Gateway’s website?! Go to Spiritual Growth Path and create an account. You’ll get access to Spiritual Fitness Checks and training with the spiritual outcomes.
BIBLE APP by YOU VERSION
If you’ve yet to do so, we encourage you to download the Bible App by YouVersion on your smart phone. Create a free YouVersion account under Settings. Tap Plans > Discover > Search: Outreach New Testament > Start Plan. Then you can read along each day with us!